PROFILE FOR HER EXCELLENCY PROF. GERTRUDE MUTHARIKA, FIRST LADY OF THE REPUBLIC OF MALAWI
• Her Excellency Prof. Gertrude Mutharika holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration
• She was awarded a Doctor of Philosophy (Honoris Causa) in Environmental Management by the University of Malawi in recognition of her contribution in environmental protection and promotion of proper waste management and health practices.
• She was awarded an Honorary Professor of Global Health by Peking University in recognition of her dedication and contribution to public health.
• She has worked for several reputable organisations including World Vision International.
• She served as Member of Parliament in the Malawi National Assembly.
• She also served as a Member of Parliament of the Pan-African Parliament (African Parliament)
• She is the Goodwill Ambassador of the Pan-African Parliament
• Her Excellency the First Lady is also a member of the Organisation of African First Ladies-OAFLA wher she served as Vice President and President. OAFLA seeks to increase awareness on
i) HIV/Aids pandemic
ii) Cervical and breast cancer
iii) Promotion of maternal and child health
iv) Harness the demographic dividend through promotion of youth friendly health services.
• She is the founder and chairperson of the Beautify Malawi-BEAM Trust whose aim is to
i) mobilise action for environmental protection, proper waste management, good sanitation and cleanliness for a cleaner and healthier nation.
ii) Promote girl child education as a sustainable way of creating a generation of economically empowered women.
• She is the Patron of Family Planning Association of Malawi-FPAM
• She is a member of the High Level Group of Regional Leaders in Eastern and Southern Africa that advises, steers and supports young people in education and sexual health.
• She is the Goodwill Ambassador for Plan Malawi International, one of whose aim is to end early marriages among girls.
• She is the Goodwill Ambassador for the OXFAM Ending Violence Against Women and Girls-EVAWG Campaign.
• The First Lady is also the First Signatory and Ambassador for Women for Water and Sanitation: a call to action to improve access to sanitation particularly for women and girls.